Many adults today wish they had straighter teeth, but don’t have the time or money to spend on traditional orthodontic treatment. If that sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place. At-home teeth alignment services administer treatment remotely using telehealth technology — eliminating the need for regular office visits.
We’ve reviewed & ranked the five best at-home clear aligners for cost-conscious adults. Read on as we outline the important details that set these companies apart, discuss the pros and cons of remote clear aligner treatment, and help you find the right option for you (and your budget)!
5 Best Home Clear Aligners (Ranked)
#1 Byte: Best Overall Value
Byte is our #1-recommended home teeth-straightening solution. The company’s top priority is to provide an excellent customer experience, which they achieve through personalized support and clinical innovation.
Byte’s claim to fame is their ability to deliver impressive results even faster than the competition — they say just four months on average. Plus, they put a lifetime guarantee on your smile, and for those who’d prefer to straighten their teeth at night, they offer “At-Night” aligners designed with premium materials to withstand nighttime teeth grinding.
- Byte’s high-frequency vibration device, the “HyperByte,” provides a more comfortable aligner fit and can induce faster teeth shifts for some people. Dentists charge upwards of $1,000 for similar devices, but Byte includes it for free in their aligner bundle.
- In addition to being accessible via phone, email, webchat, and social media, Byte’s support team puts each customer in contact with their own Byte advisor, who can address questions and concerns throughout treatment. Plus, they have a mobile app (My Byte) where you can get reminders to change your aligners, upload photos of your teeth for review, track your HyperByte usage, and live chat with customer support.
- Byte’s “At-Night” plan provides an even more flexible and discreet treatment option by requiring only ten hours of continuous wear per day. Byte crafts their At-Night aligners from a thicker, grind-resistant material to deliver safe and efficient results even with less daily wear time.
- Their Byte for Life guarantee promises that if your teeth shift back after completing treatment, they’ll give you new aligners to realign your smile for free (as long as you purchase retainers every six months and wear them as instructed).
- Unlike some of their competitors, Byte’s financing plan doesn’t require a credit check. This means you can get started with treatment faster and without impacting your credit score.
- While some providers have physical locations where customers can get their teeth scanned, Byte doesn’t offer this service yet. To get started, you’ll need to complete an impression kit from home.
- Like most teledentistry services, Byte is designed to correct mild-to-moderate cases of misalignment, focusing on the front teeth. Candid is the only provider whose treatment plans are able to move the molars.
Ready To Get Started With Byte?
If you like the idea of a potentially shorter treatment time without sacrificing treatment quality, Byte’s team of licensed dentists and orthodontists may be able to design your ideal treatment plan.
#2 Candid: Premium Treatment
Since hitting the market in 2017, Candid has continuously gone the extra mile to deliver a high-quality patient experience. They started as a fully remote clear aligner service, but have recently shifted to a hybrid treatment option called “CandidPro” that combines elements of in-office and at-home care.
After an initial in-person consultation and examination with a local dentist, you’ll check in virtually via their CandidMonitoring service every 14 days for the rest of your treatment. By keeping a local dentist involved for the entire treatment process, Candid offers a level of quality care that sets them apart from other services on this list.
- Although their “CandidPro” hybrid treatment model is fairly new, Candid is one of the most well-established brands that incorporates at-home care. Founded in 2017, they’ve transformed over 70,000 smiles so far.
- You’ll begin treatment in-person with a local dentist who will collaborate with Candid throughout the entire treatment process. Fully remote teeth alignment services like Byte and SmileDirectClub don’t offer this benefit.
- The CandidMonitoring system allows you to send photos of your teeth to your dentist and the Candid team via their mobile app, so they can evaluate your progress every step of the way. No other company on this list offers this type of system.
- Candid’s treatment plans can move all the teeth (when necessary), rather than just the front ones. Other services only focus on the front teeth and premolars.
- Candid’s mobile app gives you easy access to their support team seven days a week.
- Candid treatment is only available to people who live near one of their 300+ in-network dentists.
- Because Candid treatment incorporates in-office care, it’s quite a bit more expensive than entirely remote services like Byte. However, it’s often still less expensive than Invisalign.
- While the other services on this list offer nighttime-only treatment options, Candid treatment is intended only for all-day wear. Your local dentist will ultimately prescribe the wear schedule, but you can expect to wear your aligners for 22+ hours/day.
#3 SmileDirectClub: Best-known
SmileDirectClub was one of the first companies to offer at-home clear aligner treatment and continues to be the most popular option. Founded in 2014, SmileDirectClub has treated over a million patients to date. They’ve also gone the extra mile to make the treatment process as easy and convenient as possible.
- They have experience treating more than 1.5 million cases, so they’re familiar with various conditions, questions, and complications.
- SmileDirectClub has more than 300 SmileShops located across the U.S. You can visit one of these centers today to have your teeth scanned and get approved for treatment. Other providers require you to mail in an impression of your teeth—a slower and more cumbersome process.
- They have a Partner Network that includes more than 1,500 dentists, so you can get your treatment started with a consultation in a dentist’s office, if you’d prefer.
- Offers guaranteed treatment financing over 24 months through Smilepay. No credit check required.
- SmileDirectClub has a 30-day money-back guarantee, and they’ll issue prorated refunds for unused and unopened aligners after that.
- Their Lifetime Smile Guarantee will provide new aligners if your teeth shift out of place in the future, as long as you purchase two sets of retainers every year and wear them as directed.
- According to our research, SmileDirectClub’s customer support has historically been hit-or-miss. They’ve accrued a significant number of complaints about shipping delays and inconsistent communication when issues arise during treatment.
- SmileDirectClub charges an additional $99 fee for retainers after treatment. In contrast, competitors like Byte include your first of aftercare retainers for free.
#4 NewSmile: Best Industry Newcomer
NewSmile is a newer and less expensive option than many of their competitors, making them an intriguing option. They also offer highly efficient treatment, flexible financing, and a nighttime-only alignment option.
- NewSmile offers super-low prices (and frequent discounts that drop those prices even lower).
- They include your impression kit, retainers, and three months of whitening products at no extra charge. Many competitors charge extra for these items.
- They provide a nighttime-only plan that only requires you to wear your aligners for ten hours per day. This option costs $1,595 instead of $1,495, but that’s still less expensive than many of their competitors’ nighttime aligners.
- If your finished smile doesn’t match the one they initially promised, NewSmile says they will “work with you to determine what the issue may be, and will help you achieve the results of your original Treatment Preview.”
- NewSmile requires all customers to upload videos of their teeth to their monitoring app every two weeks, providing consistent remote oversight to keep you on track.
- NewSmile does not currently have any retail locations where you can get an in-office teeth scan. Their at-home impression kits are your only option.
- NewSmile is one of the youngest companies offering at-home clear aligner treatment, and they don’t have as much customer feedback as their competitors.
Interested in NewSmile?
NewSmile hasn’t been around as long as some competitors, but their low pricing, nighttime-only alignment plan, and widely accessible payment plans make them a strong contender.
Special Offer: Get $100 off your NewSmile aligners
#5 AlignerCo: Lowest Prices
AlignerCo aims to offer the most affordable at-home aligner treatment in the industry, so they’re a great option for budget-keepers and bargain hunters. They offer amazing prices, frequent discounts, and flexible financing plans, making their treatment exceptionally budget-friendly. And they haven’t sacrificed quality in the name of affordability either.
- At $1,145, AlignerCo’s aligner package is less expensive than all of their competitors. Plus, they occasionally run sales that discount that price even further.
- Like Byte and SmileDirectClub, AlignerCo approves every customer for financing with the SmileFlex Easy plan (their standard SmileFlex plan requires a soft credit check).
- You’ll email photos of your teeth every two weeks so AlignerCo’s team can make sure everything is progressing as planned and make adjustments if necessary.
- AlignerCo has a nighttime-only aligner treatment called NightOnly, which requires ten hours of wear per day and takes 6–8 months on average. It costs $1,345 instead of the $1,145 for standard treatment.
- They have fewer customer reviews than larger companies like Byte and Candid, so it’s difficult to get a reliable gauge of the customer experience.
- AlignerCo doesn’t have physical locations where you can get teeth scans, so you’ll need to purchase an impression kit and make molds of your teeth at home.
- While other companies will create free refinement aligners if you’re not satisfied with your smile at the end of treatment, AlignerCo charges extra, and they don’t offer any refunds.
Thinking about AlignerCo?
If price is your top concern, AlignerCo is worth considering. Although they aren’t as well-established as some of their competitors, they’ve shown a ton of promise and their industry-best price is tough to turn down.
Special Offer: Get $250 off AlignerCo treatment.
*Discount only applies to SmileAdvantage payment option*
Which Clear Aligner Option is Best for You?
We totally understand if seeing all these options feels overwhelming, especially since they look so similar at first glance. At the end of the day, we believe that two clear aligner brands stand above the rest — Byte and Candid.
Choose Byte if:
You want the best overall value, a potentially shorter treatment time, and the option to only wear your aligners at night.
Choose Candid if:
You’re willing to pay extra for a premium service that incorporates in-person care and comprehensive remote monitoring.
Pros & Cons of At-Home Teeth Straightening
As we’ve discussed, at-home clear aligners are more convenient and affordable than in-office options like braces or Invisalign. But this doesn’t mean they’re an appropriate choice for everyone. If you have a severe case of misalignment or a complicated bite condition, you may benefit from face-to-face dental care.
To help you decide if at-home teeth straightening is right for you, take a moment to evaluate these pros and cons:
- Home aligners cost significantly less than traditional orthodontic treatment—typically somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the cost of braces or Invisalign.
- Since treatment is administered remotely, at-home teeth alignment frees up time in your schedule that you’d otherwise spend on ongoing dental office visits. However, you should still go to the dentist before beginning treatment to make sure you don’t have any cavities (or other issues that need addressing).
- Treatment only takes around six months to complete, which is significantly shorter than the average duration of in-office treatment. However, that’s often because in-office options like Invisalign take on more complex cases.
- At-home clear aligners are designed to be as convenient as possible. Most providers even offer a nighttime-only option for people who don’t want to deal with wearing their aligners for 22+ hours/day.
- Home aligners are only designed to treat mild-to-moderate cases of spacing and crowding, and minor bite issues. They aren’t effective for severe cases of misalignment.
- Your provider won’t take X-rays of your teeth before creating your treatment plan. Before getting started, we recommend visiting your local dentist to make sure there aren’t any issues with your teeth or gums.
How Should I Evaluate My Options?
Reading through this review, it’s possible that one aspect of at-home clear aligner treatment sticks out to you. Perhaps you like the idea of getting the lowest price point, or maybe you’re looking for the most convenient option available.
As you evaluate all these providers, we recommend considering five factors: Effectiveness, Affordability, Convenience, Appearance, and Customer Experience. Our above rankings are based on all of these criteria combined, but we’ve also ranked them based on each factor individually.
With any orthodontic treatment, you want to be sure you’ll get the results you’re after — otherwise, what’s the point of pursuing treatment at all? For this reason, we consider effectiveness above all other factors when making our clear aligner recommendations.
Your provider’s product design, level of expertise, and quality of materials all play a role in the effectiveness of your treatment. (And of course, so does the condition of your teeth!)
We compare the most effective at-home teeth straightening services alongside traditional in-office treatment options like Invisalign in our review of The Most Effective Clear Aligners.
When you’re on a tight budget, orthodontic treatment can seem financially out of reach — but at-home clear aligners are surprisingly affordable. Because they take ongoing dental office visits out of the equation, home aligners eliminate the costs associated with face-to-face care. However, cost varies from provider to provider, so some options may be a better fit for your budget than others.
When it comes to sticker price, AlignerCo easily takes the crown for affordability — but there’s more to the equation than a provider’s upfront price point. We dive into the nitty-gritty details in our review of The Most Affordable Clear Aligners to help you get the most bang for your buck.
Compared to traditional orthodontics, at-home teeth straightening is highly convenient because the process is entirely remote. Still, some at-home aligner services are more convenient than others. When you dig into the various providers, you’ll notice some variation in their service offerings that make starting or completing treatment much easier — such as free teeth scanning or expedited treatment times.
Based on convenience alone, our top-rated providers are SmileDirectClub and Byte. For a detailed look at how all the details shake out, check out our review of The Most Convenient Clear Aligners.
Every home aligner company makes their aligners from clear, BPA-free plastic, but each one uses a slightly different design. Consequently, certain brands can be more or less visible than others. These discrepancies are small, but might influence your decision if your goal is to find the most discreet treatment option out there.
For an in-depth look at these aesthetic differences, check out our review of The Best-Looking Clear Aligners.
You never want to think about something going wrong with your treatment, but if any issues arise, it’s important to know your provider will take care of it in a kind and timely manner.
Even if you just have a simple question or concern about the treatment process, it’s comforting to know you have a responsive customer support team to lean on. We evaluated thousands of user reviews to determine which companies offer the most responsive and caring customer service.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions we get about home teeth aligners.
How do home aligner companies prepare my treatment plan?
After you submit your impression kit or teeth scans, a dental professional will analyze them and use specialized software to create digital models of your teeth and aligners for every stage in the process. The company will send you digital images of the treatment plan for your approval before beginning production.
How long does at-home teeth straightening treatment take?
For most companies, the average treatment time for most cases is six months, although Byte advertises average treatment times of four months. Your treatment time largely depends on the severity of your condition — severe misalignments take longer to correct than mild ones.
How do I get started with at-home aligner treatment?
You will need to order an impression kit from your chosen home aligner company. The kit includes putty and trays, which you’ll use to make molds of your top and bottom dental arches, before mailing them to the company. This process can sometimes be difficult, so SmileDirectClub offers physical locations where you can get free teeth scans, and Candid has every customer begin treatment by attending an appointment with one of their network dentists.
Which conditions can home aligners treat?
At-home aligners are best for mild-to-moderate cases of crowding and spacing, along with some mild bite issues. If your case is severe or includes a jaw misalignment like overbite or underbite, home aligners might not have the capacity to induce the larger tooth and jaw shifts you’re after.
How often do I need to wear my aligners?
You’ll need to wear your aligners for at least 22 hours per day, removing them only to eat and drink — unless you pursue nighttime-only treatment with SmileDirectClub, Byte, AlignerCo, or NewSmile. This alternative treatment schedule only requires you to wear the aligners at night (ten hours total).
What if my treatment doesn’t go as planned?
Each home aligner company has different refund and warranty policies. In most cases, you cannot receive a refund after you begin treatment, although the company may work with you to adjust your plan and craft new aligners.
Are financing/payment plans available?
Most home aligner companies offer both financing and payment plans. A few partner with third-party companies that provide financing but require credit checks to qualify. SmileDirectClub, Byte, AlignerCo, and NewSmile all offer their own financing options for which everyone qualifies.
What are clear aligners made of?
All the clear aligner companies we reviewed use clear, BPA-free plastic to make their products.
What happens after my treatment is complete?
At the end of your home aligner treatment, you’ll receive or purchase custom-fit retainers to keep your teeth from shifting back to their original positions. Your provider will recommend wearing your retainers for close to 24 hours per day for a period of about two weeks. After that, you’ll only have to wear them at night. Some providers include retainers with the initial cost of treatment, while others charge an additional $80–100 for them after you finish treatment.
Does it hurt to wear clear aligners?
Customers often report experiencing tightness or discomfort during the first 1–2 days wearing a new set of aligners, after which the discomfort subsides. Some companies provide “chewies” or other devices to help ensure a more comfortable aligner fit.