A lot of young adults today wish they had straighter teeth, but don’t have the budget for braces or Invisalign. If that sounds like you, you may be a good candidate for home teeth straightening.
For less than a third of the cost of Invisalign, popular online services will ship a kit of custom invisible aligners directly to your home. Using one of these kits, you can get straighter teeth without a single trip to the dentist.
If you’re considering purchasing a home straightening kit, you have several options to choose from. Smile Direct Club is the most well known provider of home aligner treatment. Over the past couple of years, several new startups companies have begun offering compelling alternatives.
This guide outlines the features that set apart each of the top providers of home aligner kits. Which is your best choice for straighter teeth on an affordable budget? Read on to find out.
Top Four Straightening Kits
1st Place: Candid Co
Candid Co offers our top recommended home teeth straightening solution. Though newer and less well established than Smile Direct Club, Candid Co is growing in popularity and earning lots of positive reviews. Candid Co recently attracted over $15 million in investment to continue improving their product and growing their business.
Candid Co Advantages
- Your course of treatment is overseen by a licensed orthodontist in your state. Orthodontists have received years of training to help you get that perfect smile. Other clear aligner companies work with dental providers who have not received this level of training and may not be able to offer the same quality of treatment.
- Based on our research, Candid Co appears to have partnered with ClearCorrect, the second largest manufacturer of invisible aligners in the US. You can feel confident your aligners are well designed and of professional quality.
- Candid Co video interviews all new customers prior to treatment. This is to ensure the orthodontist overseeing your care has a complete picture of your bite and dental health and can design the most effective treatment plan. Other providers simply ask for photos of your teeth.
- Customer support is a cut above the rest. In online reviews, customers testify that CandidCo support didn’t leave them hanging when something went wrong or if they simply needed some help getting the used to wearing their aligners.
Candid Co Drawbacks
- Candid Co is priced just a bit higher than other providers. On the other hand, CandidCo ships you a free pair of retainers once you finish wearing your last aligner. Other providers charge $90+ for a pair of retainers, so total costs are comparable.
- Candid Co has a shorter track record and fewer customer reviews than Smile Direct Club
2nd Place: Smile Direct Club
Smile Direct Club is one of the first companies to offer at-home clear aligner treatment, and continues to be the most popular option. Founded in 2013, SmileDirect Club has raised over $60 million from investors and has treated over 100,000 patients.
Smile Direct Club Advantages
- Works directly with Align Tech, the makers of Invisalign and the largest clear aligner manufacturer in the world, to produce their invisible aligner kits. When you order from Smile Direct Club, you’re getting industry leading clear aligner technology.
- SmileDirectClub has over one hundred SmileCare Centers located across the US. You can visit one of these centers today to have your teeth scanned and get approved for treatment. Other providers require you to mail in an impression of your teeth – a slower and more cumbersome process.
- Offers guaranteed financing of your treatment plan over 24 months. No credit check required.
Smile Direct Club Drawbacks
- Smile Direct Club has a below average track record where it comes to quality of service and customer support. Online reviews warn of long shipping delays and inconsistent communication when issues arise during treatment.
- Your smile plan and progress are not overseen by an orthodontist, meaning you may not get the best result possible.
3rd Place: Smilelove
Smilelove is the newest business we identified that sells at-home teeth straightening kits. Smilelove is catching people’s attention with their low prices and generous customer satisfaction guarantee.
- Lowest prices in the industry. Plans start at $1699.
- The only at-home clear aligner company to offer your full money back if you aren’t satisfied with your results.
- Has an exclusive partnership with RaintreeEssix – one of the largest dental equipment and dental material suppliers. This partnership suggests the aligners they are providing will probably be high quality.
- Similar to SnapCorrect, Smilelove markets that their aligners as less visible than competitors, but this is hard to validate. The shinier plastic they use may be more noticeable than aligners provided by other companies.
- Company is very small (6 employees on LinkedIn).
- At this stage, online reviews of Smile Love are limited and it’s difficult to verify the authenticity of online reviews.
4th Place: SnapCorrect
Like most other businesses offering home aligner kits, SnapCorrect is fairly new – they have only been in business since mid 2017. However, run by a dental industry veteran who started a popular whitening service, SnapCorrect may be able to use industry knowledge to improve its offering.
- Comes with free whitening gel for life.
- First set of retainers comes included with the price of purchase – that’s a $90+ value.
- Aligners are marketed as clearer and less visible than those offered by competitors. However, in our opinion, the difference in visibility is not meaningful. Some customers may actually dislike the shinier plastic used in these aligners.
- SnapCorrect is a new company, so the effectiveness of their products are not clearly determined at this point.
- Not competitively priced, given their status as a new company.