There’s a delicate balance involved with teeth straightening treatment. You want to find an option that won’t empty your wallet but still provides quality products and results, and Smilelove checks both boxes. Since 2017, Smilelove’s low price point has caught the eye of budget-focused adults everywhere. Their $1,895 sticker price is fairly average, but their almost-constant sales can drop it as low as $1,495.
Smilelove might be cost-effective, but this doesn’t mean they’re a perfect option for every case, and they’re not the only affordable option on the market. If you want a great deal without sacrificing quality, but Smilelove isn’t right for you, we’ve assembled a list for you of the best alternatives available.
Smilelove is not currently accepting new orders due to the impact of COVID-19 on their business. Fortunately, we’ve got all the best alternatives right here.
Table of Contents
Being one of the newer faces on the market hasn’t stopped byte from making big strides forward in treatment effectiveness and convenience. They might not match Smilelove’s promotional pricing, but they’ve engineered the industry’s fastest treatment time and used innovative technology to improve the entire process.
They’re growing quickly in size and popularity, but byte hasn’t allowed their customer support services to lag behind either. For all these reasons and more, byte holds the #1 spot in our overall home aligner rankings.
- No other home aligner company comes close to byte’s 3-month treatment time. Smilelove’s treatment, for example, typically takes 6-8 months.
- After your treatment is complete, byte guarantees your smile for life. Even if your teeth shift years down the road, they will send you new aligners to correct them. No other company (Smilelove included) offers a warranty this extensive.
- Like Smilelove, byte’s dental network consists solely of orthodontists, so your treatment will be developed and monitored by someone with extensive training in the art of crafting smiles.
- Using a unique technology called Smile Science, byte considers your entire facial structure to create a smile that fits with the rest of your features. Other companies analyze your teeth without evaluating the rest of your face.
- byte gives each customer a personal customer service advisor for any questions or concerns that arise during treatment.
- byte’s $1,895 price tag is the same as Smilelove’s, and while they run sales, they’re not as substantial or frequent as Smilelove’s.
- They don’t offer refunds after you begin treatment (Smilelove offers prorated refunds), but their orthodontists will work with you to get your progress back on track.
- byte doesn’t disclose who manufactures their aligners. We assume both of them work with a reputable company, but we can’t say for sure. Smilelove has a standing manufacturing partnership with Essix.
byte - The Bottom Line
Want a safe, effective treatment that delivers results faster than anyone else? You might want to check out byte.
Special Offer: 70% off byte impression Kit + $100 off aligners
Candid and Smilelove both produce great-looking clear aligners for much less than in-office brands like Invisalign. Both companies began in 2017, but while Smilelove has remained relatively small, Candid has grown to become the second-largest company in the home aligner industry. The two companies offer similar products but occupy different industry niches. While Smilelove boasts affordability, Candid emphasizes effectiveness, quality, and safety.
- Candid works exclusively with orthodontists (like byte and Smilelove) ensuring that your treatment is developed by a highly-specialized professional.
- Candid’s Remote Monitoring gives you digital check-ins with your orthodontist every 7-10 days to evaluate your progress. Candid says this can decrease your treatment time by up to 30%.
- By visiting a Candid Studio, you can have your teeth scanned for free and skip the impression kit. Smilelove does not currently have any physical locations.
- Candid’s aligners are produced by ClearCorrect, a trustworthy and experienced producer, while Smilelove does not disclose who manufactures their aligners.
- Based on the online reviews we examined, customers often find Candid’s customer support more responsive than Smilelove’s.
- At $2,400, Candid isn’t as affordable as Smilelove, and they don’t offer frequent discounts either.
- Candid doesn’t give any refunds after you’ve officially begun treatment, while Smilelove offers prorated refunds in the middle of treatment if you’re dissatisfied with your progress.
- Candid’s financing plans require a credit check, so not everyone will qualify.
Candid - The Bottom Line
If you want a company that’s committed to quality and safety and offers attentive customer service, Candid could be a great option.
Special Offer: 50% off the purchase of your Candid Starter Kit
AlignerCo is the only company that beats Smilelove’s promotional prices. Their $1,145 sticker price is unmatched, and their flexible financing plans help make AlignerCo treatment even more accessible. And while their price tag is cheap, their products and customer service are still high quality. A young and rapidly-growing company, we anticipate that they’ll be a big name for years to come.
- You won’t find a lower initial price than AlignerCo’s $1,145. At $1,495, Smilelove’s sale price comes close, but is still hundreds higher.
- AlignerCo offers multiple financing options (one that requires a credit check and one that doesn’t), so you can choose the one that works best for you.
- From the time you submit your impression kit, AlignerCo takes 4-5 weeks to design your treatment, then manufacture and ship your aligners. This process takes Smilelove 6-8 weeks.
- Customers rave about the attentiveness and personal touch they get with AlignerCo’s customer service. Online reviews reveal some complaints about Smilelove’s responsiveness.
- AlignerCo just started in 2019, so they have less experience than the competition.
- While Smilelove, byte, and Candid have teams of only orthodontists, AlignerCo uses both orthodontists and general dentists, so you might have a less-specialized professional overseeing your treatment.
- Unlike Smilelove, AlignerCo won’t offer refunds after you’ve begun treatment. They will, however, let you apply for refinement if you’re unhappy with your results.
AlignerCo - The Bottom Line
Trying to transform your smile on a budget? If you don’t mind working with a less established company, take a look at AlignerCo.
Special Offer: Enter "Smile100" as your coupon code for $100 off.
What about Invisalign?
Invisalign is the original clear aligner system and the industry’s most well-established brand. They’ve transformed over 8 million smiles to date, and they’re widely respected by dentists and customers alike. So why aren’t they on this list? Because, while Invisalign might deliver a similar product, on the whole their processes are quite different.
Unlike the other companies on this list, Invisalign is developed and administered completely in-office by your dentist. At-home systems like Smilelove have licensed dental professionals that develop aligner treatment plans remotely, but customers must administer them from home.
Over 100,000 dentists and orthodontists in 90 countries are trained and licensed to offer Invisalign treatment. Choosing Invisalign would mean that you must make regular office visits for your dentist to monitor and adjust your aligners (if necessary). Further, it also gives them the opportunity to apply attachments like elastics and expanders that induce more intricate tooth and jaw movements.
This makes Invisalign more expensive ($3,000 – $8,000) and more time-intensive (12 months on average), but it also means that Invisalign’s treatment is capable of correcting a wide scope of severe conditions (including bite issues like overbite, underbite, and crossbite). If your condition turns out to be too severe for home aligner treatment, or if you’re simply more comfortable seeing your dentist face-to-face each month, you won’t find a more effective option than Invisalign.
How Should I Evaluate My Options?
Some purchasing decisions are simple. Sometimes you can simply choose the lowest price or the fastest results. But when it comes to something as important as your dental health, the decision is more complex. It relies largely on your unique smile goals and priorities, but it shouldn’t hinge solely on one aspect.
It’s easy to get tunnel vision on a price tag or timeframe, but home aligner treatment is multifaceted, so you should step back and take a wide view of each company, analyzing every detail about them. In the course of our research, we’ve come up with a comprehensive five-point process for evaluating home aligner companies:
- Effectiveness: Who is in charge of your treatment plan? Where are your aligners manufactured? How are they designed? All of these things can influence a treatment’s effectiveness and efficiency. Dig into these details to know whether you’re receiving safe, high-quality products.
- Affordability: If you’re on a budget or just a habitual bargain hunter, low costs might be your priority. This isn’t just the initial cost that you find on a company’s homepage. You should also consider their financing options, payment plans, and what items the sticker price includes.
- Convenience: Eliminating office visits means that all home aligner treatments are more convenient than in-office options, but certain companies take extra steps to be even more user-friendly. Providing various ways to get started and multiple treatment schedules, while reducing wait times, help increase a company’s convenience.
- Appearance: Clear aligners are pretty discreet, but by experimenting with different plastics, surfaces, and designs, home aligner companies have made them even more so. Appearance somewhat depends on personal preferences, though, so what looks “best” might vary based on a customer’s tastes and style.
- Customer Friendliness: Because customers complete their treatment entirely on their own, home aligner companies need to be on their customer service game to answer questions and resolve issues. Contact channels, responsiveness, helpfulness, and refund policies all play into the quality of a company’s customer care.
While you should consider all of these aspects, it’s natural to focus on one or two in particular. That’s why we’ve created guides showing which home aligner companies excel in each category along with an overall ranking of our top 5 picks.
For anyone seeking quality home aligner treatment on a budget, Smilelove is likely an attractive option. They offer low initial costs, frequent promotions, and an unbeatable refund policy. This doesn’t mean, however, that it’s going to be the ideal choice for your unique goals and circumstances.
Even if you’re totally sold on Smilelove, it’s wise to hold off on diving into treatment until you’ve examined all your options. If you still choose Smilelove, great! If not, that means you’ve discovered a company that works better for you. Either way, you can proceed with confidence that your choice is the best route for you and your beautiful smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which clear aligners are the least noticeable?
Visit various home aligner company websites and you’ll find several different answers to this question. Each company will tell you that their aligners are the best looking but, quite honestly, it often comes down to personal tastes. If you want our opinion, Candid makes a great-looking, hardly-noticeable aligner. How? Check out our review of the Best Looking Clear Aligners.
Which clear aligners work the fastest?
Appearance might be a subjective category, but timelines aren’t, and byte offers the fastest-working treatment available. Their aligner plans take around 3 months, while other home aligner companies take 6. This is due to their HyperByte device, which uses gentle vibrations to facilitate faster teeth movements and better fitting aligners.
Is there a cheaper alternative to Smilelove?
Think Smilelove’s promotional prices can’t get any better? Think again. AlignerCo’s standard sticker price is just $1,145, making them the most affordable home aligner option. Of course, when compared to in-office treatments, all home aligner companies are pretty budget-friendly. Learn more about this in our review of the Most Affordable Clear Aligners.
What is the most convenient alternative to Smilelove?
All home aligner companies are convenient compared to their in-office counterparts, but SmileDirectClub goes the extra mile. Their extensive SmileShop network and nighttime-only option, among other initiatives, separate them from the pack. Take a closer look at SmileDirectClub and a few other convenient options in our review of the Most Convenient Clear Aligners.
Should I get Invisalign instead?
Invisalign’s ability to treat a wide scope of severe conditions makes it the most effective teeth straightening option. But unlike Smilelove and the other companies on this list, it’s not an at-home treatment. Rather, it must be administered by a dentist and requires regular office visits. Invisalign might have a longer timeline (12 months on average) and a higher price ($3,000 – $8,000), but it’s a great option if you’re concerned about the severity of your condition or if you’d prefer face-to-face interaction with your dentist.