It’s that little morning ritual so many of us have. We wake up, hit brew, and then transform from zombie into human with a cup (or several) of coffee. But even though it feels like balm to the soul, it acts like dye on your teeth, steadily darkening them over time.
But just because you love your coffee, red wine, and other teeth-staining beverages doesn’t mean you can’t have a bright smile! And you don’t need to drop $600+ on professional treatments to achieve it. There are plenty of convenient and effective at-home whitening systems with affordable price tags. Below, we cover five of the best.
Table of Contents
Most Affordable Whitening Kits at a Glance
Bitvae Whitening StripsLowest Price Per Treatment
- Uses Dead Sea salt to help strengthen enamel.
- Often on sale.
BURST Whitening StripsNatural, Effective, and Affordable
- Only takes 15 minutes per day.
- Supplements peroxide with coconut oil.
MOON Whitening PenBest on the Go
- Designed to provide near-instant polish.
- Uses unique flavors.
Luelli LED WhiteningBudget-Friendly LED Whitening
- Some customers see a difference after one application.
- Sessions only last ten minutes.
Lumineux Whitening StripsPlant and mineral-rich formula
- Whitens with natural ingredients — no peroxide.
- Don’t cause any sensitivity.
#1: Bitvae Whitening Strips: Lowest Price Per Treatment
Founded in 2022, Bitvae is relatively new to the teeth whitening scene. The company aims to address common pain points in at-home dental care — and price is one of the biggest. As a result, they’ve already established their whitening strips as some of the most affordable on the market.
Bitvae Whitening Strips typically retail for $19.95, though they are sometimes on sale for even lower. You can usually find them for less through their Amazon storefront, too. However, even at their list price, they’re still a great deal.
- With 18 treatments per box, these strips offer a lot of bang for your buck.
- Their gel is formulated to reduce or avoid sensitivity.
- They use Dead Sea salt in their formula, which has shown remineralizing properties.
- The strips have a powerful adhesive that can make them difficult to take off.
- Some users find the results aren’t as noticeable as with other products.
#2: BURST Whitening Strips: Natural, Effective, and Affordable
BURST’s model is simple: make oral healthcare products that address the actual needs of real people. To pinpoint these needs, they partner with BURST Ambassadors — practicing dental professionals across the U.S. These ambassadors report patient needs and the company keeps these in mind as they design their products.
One of the biggest needs? Affordable oral care products. That’s why BURST aims to keep their prices low. Their whitening strips are just $29.99 per box, and you can lower this price by opting for their subscription service.
- They are some of the most affordable whitening strips on the market.
- You only need to wear them for 15 minutes per day to achieve maximum results.
- They supplement hydrogen peroxide with coconut oil, which can positively affect oral health.
- Some customers complain the adhesive doesn’t work very well, so the strips slide around.
- If the gel contacts the gums, it leaves chemical burns.
#3: MOON Kendall Jenner Teeth Whitening Pen: Best on the Go
MOON looks at a white smile not as oral healthcare but as part of a standard beauty routine. Designed to look more like a high-end mascara tube than a dental product, their whitening pen can easily become part of your daily self-care. In addition to steadily whitening your smile, it also contains mica, which can help polish teeth and add a little extra shine.
At $19.99, it’s also significantly cheaper than tray-based kits and even most strips. A few pens are $1–$4 cheaper, but they don’t offer the instant difference that MOON claims — nor are their designs as sleek.
- MOON can give your smile an instant sparkle, making it great for a quick boost before a big meeting or event.
- The design makes it feel more like makeup, so you’ll feel comfortable applying it outside the house.
- The flavor is fun and masks the taste of peroxide.
- The results you see initially don’t last once the gel washes away.
- The only place to purchase it in person is Ulta.
#4: Luelli: Budget-Friendly LED Whitening
LED whitening kits are all the rage. The problem is that most cost at least $60, and some will set you back $200 or more. You might think this means you can’t enjoy that LED boost if you’re on a tight budget — but with Luelli, you can.
At just $49.99, it is one of the most affordable LED whitening kits available. And unlike most, it takes just ten minutes per session to see results, not 30+. They claim most people see a change after just one session and a big change within seven days.
- You spend just ten minutes a day whitening your teeth and treatment takes just ten days.
- The formula uses a 35% concentration of carbamide peroxide, making it good for sensitive teeth.
- They say most people see a noticeable difference after one application.
- Many people say that the tray doesn’t fit well and they have to apply gel directly to their teeth.
- The tray and light are uncomfortable to hold in place and cause chapped lips.
#5: Lumineux Whitening Strips: Natural Ingredients
Hydrogen and carbamide peroxide are the go-to active ingredients in whitening formulas. But not everyone is comfortable with putting such harsh chemicals on their teeth. The problem is that many “natural” formulas just blend things like coconut oil with peroxide, so they aren’t really natural. And the truly all-natural products are usually pretty expensive.
Lumineux avoids both problems with natural whitening by using plant-based ingredients at a price that’s budget friendly. Lumineux uses a blend of dead sea salt, coconut oil, and essential oils to gently break up stains in the enamel. And it can deliver satisfying results, even without peroxide.
- Lumineux skips harsh peroxide and uses coconut and essential oils instead. Certain studies have shown these natural ingredients to be effective in stain removal.
- Because the formula is so gentle, you can safely use these strips daily for as long as you wish.
- It’s ideal for people with sensitive teeth since there are no harsh ingredients.
- Some customers complain that the strip for the bottom teeth is too small.
- Since it lacks peroxide, it isn’t quite as powerful as some other products.
What Other Qualities Should I Consider?
If you’ve read through this list, affordability is one of your priorities — but it shouldn’t be the only one. There are quite a few other qualities to keep in mind, and we’ve zeroed in on the ones that have the most universal importance.
While we didn’t use all these products ourselves, we researched them extensively. We dug into customer reviews and testimonials and made sure that the vast majority of users saw a difference in their smile and were pleased with the level of change.
Quality of Ingredients
You don’t want to use a whitening kit made from unsafe or low-quality ingredients. We focused on products that use proven whitening agents supported by other dental-safe ingredients.
Brightening your smile takes work, but it shouldn’t be overly complicated. While some kits require more steps than others, we stuck to ones that are pretty straightforward to use.
Any teeth whitening product can feel awkward, especially at first. Still, it should never be so uncomfortable that you dread using it. The kits on our list are generally comfortable for most users.
If you want to boost the brilliance of your smile without breaking the bank, there are lots of affordable options. While we think all the products on this list are excellent, you’ll probably find that one fits your goals and priorities better than the others. Select yours based on your exact budget and the type of whitening that interests you most.
Frequently Asked Questions
What whitening products are generally the most expensive?
Customized whitening trays, with or without LED lights. Because they’re customized to your unique smile, they’re typically the most effective. However, the company needs to build in the cost of your impression kit, the molds they make, and a customized manufacturing process, all of which drive up the price.
How can I assess a whitening product’s affordability?
It depends on what working with a budget means to you. SNOW is one of the most expensive whitening kits on the market when you look at sticker price alone — $149. But the equipment is reusable, so future sessions will only cost as much as the gel refills.
Whitening strips like BURST are often less expensive than LED kits, but without reusable equipment you’ll have to purchase a whole new kit every time you want to whiten. If you are working on a tight budget in the moment, focus on sticker price. Otherwise, it can be helpful to consider the cost of maintaining your whitening results in the long run.
Which kit is best for long-term whitening?
From this list, Luelli. The LED light is reusable and the company sells gel refills that let you continue to whiten your teeth at an even lower cost.
Is it dangerous to whiten your teeth at home?
No — as long as you follow the directions in your kit perfectly. Never leave the gel on longer than instructed and don’t whiten more often than the directions dictate. Usually, it will be every six months.
What can I do to whiten my smile if I have sensitive teeth?
First, look for treatments made specifically for sensitive teeth. Switch to a toothpaste that helps reinforce the enamel as well. If you still experience sensitivity, cut your sessions short or skip a day between treatments to let your teeth rest.
Are custom trays better than universal ones?
In general, yes. Since they’re customized for your teeth, they hold the gel in place, contacting all tooth surfaces without getting it on the gums.
How often can I whiten my teeth?
Follow the instructions included in your kit.