Adults who want straighter teeth might dream of a photo-ready, movie-star smile. But due to the sheer time and money it takes to complete traditional orthodontic treatment, this is often nothing more than wishful thinking. In-office treatments like braces and Invisalign can treat a wide range of cases, but face-to-face orthodontist oversight ramps up prices and extends their timelines.
By eliminating office visits, home aligners have found a cheaper, faster way to straighten teeth. No wonder they’re popular. Over the past few years, home aligner companies like Byte, EZ Smile, SmilePath, SmileDirectClub, and WonderSmile have begun selling at-home aligner treatment in Australia. But this ever-expanding list of home aligner companies can make it tough to choose.
That’s why we’ve reviewed & ranked the 5 best Australian at-home teeth straightening services for cost-conscious adults. Read on as we outline the important details that set these clear aligner companies apart, discuss the pros & cons of at-home treatment, and help you find the right option for you (and your budget)!
Best Australian Home Clear Aligners (Ranked)
#1 Byte: Best Overall Value
Byte is our #1-recommended home teeth-straightening solution. They started selling clear aligners in the US in 2018, and have since earned a strong reputation for their product quality and above-and-beyond customer service. Thanks to their success in the states, Byte expanded operations to Australia in spring 2020.
Although they’re not as established in Australia as EZ Smile or SmileDirectClub, they use industry-leading technology to achieve faster average treatment times than any other provider. Plus, Byte treatment comes with a lifetime guarantee on your smile. For all these reasons and more, Byte has earned the #1 spot in our rankings.
- While Byte does have general dentists on its team as well, your treatment plan will be designed with oversight from a licensed orthodontist who has completed several years of specialized postgraduate training. Most clear aligner companies work with dental professionals who have not received the same level of training, and may not be able to offer the same treatment quality.
- Byte offers faster results than competing companies. Using their special HyperByte device, you can finish treatment in as little as three months.
- Their Byte for Life Guarantee ensures your smile forever. If your teeth shift after you complete your treatment, they will give you new aligners to realign your smile for free, even years down the road!
- Byte At-Night treatment only requires 10 hours of daily wear but still delivers results in 4-6 months (this option costs $3,399 instead).
- They’ll send you a set of retainers for free when you complete your treatment. Some providers charge an additional $90+ for these retainers.
- While some providers have physical locations where customers can get their teeth scanned, Byte doesn’t offer this service yet. To get started, you’ll need to complete an impression kit from home.
- Byte is younger and less established than SmileDirectClub and some other companies. With that said, almost entirely positive online user feedback gives us a lot of confidence in this company.
byte - The Bottom Line
If you like the idea of completing treatment ASAP without sacrificing quality or customer service, Byte’s team of licensed dentists and orthodontists can design your ideal aligner plan.
Special Offer: Get 70% off impression kit + $100 off aligners
#2 EZ Smile: Satisfaction Guaranteed
Fitting clear aligner treatment into a budget can be quite a task. Fortunately, EZ Smile makes it easier. They don’t have the lowest prices available, but they do offer more affordable rates than most competitors.
That said, low prices don’t mean cheap products. EZ Smile was actually the first company in Australia to sell at-home clear aligners. From the beginning, they’ve been committed to delivering a quality service, which is evident from the numerous positive reviews they’ve received from satisfied customers over the years.
EZ Smile Advantages
- At $2,149, EZ Smile’s sticker price is among the lowest you’ll find, hundreds less than SmileDirectClub and Byte.
- EZ Smile’s 90-day money-back guarantee refunds your money if you’re not 100% satisfied within the first three months.
- EZ Smile provides multiple financing options, including one that doesn’t require a credit check.
- They partner with dentists across Australia to provide intraoral scans, giving them more physical locations than their competitors.
EZ Smile Drawbacks
- EZ Smile uses a mixed dental team to design and produce your aligners, so there’s no guarantee that you’ll be getting treatment from the most qualified professional.
- EZ Smile does not offer a nighttime-only treatment option, so you’ll need to wear your aligners for 22+ hours per day.
#3 SmilePath: Most Affordable
If saving money is your top priority, SmilePath is a slam-dunk option. They have the lowest price points for at-home teeth alignment in Australia, and it’s not all that close. Pricing isn’t SmilePath’s only advantage though, as they also have a nighttime-only alignment plan and multiple financing options.
- No other at-home aligner company in Australia can match the great low rates offered by SmilePath. As if that wasn’t impressive enough, they also sometimes offer discounts that cut their prices even lower.
- With SmilePath, you can choose all-day wear or a night-only alignment schedule. If being discreet is your top priority, SmilePath is a great option.
- Even though they offer amazingly low rates, SmilePath has a strong customer support department. Their friendly representatives are always willing and able to help if you have any questions or concerns.
- By pairing their low prices with a variety of financing plans, SmilePath ensures that as many people as possible have access to affordable dental alignment.
- SmilePath doesn’t have any retail locations where you can get your teeth professionally scanned, so your only option is to take impressions of your own teeth using their DIY at-home molds.
- SmilePath has impressive alignment times, but they are not the fastest available in Australia. Byte can align your smile in as little as three months, whereas SmilePath takes at least six months.
- Their shipping isn’t quite as fast as some competitors, which could mean you wait an additional week or two before starting your treatment than you would with some other companies.
SmilePath - The Bottom Line
Having the lowest prices in the industry is quite the convincing selling point, but SmilePath doesn’t stop there. They’re a well-rounded at-home alignment company that offers more options than you might expect.
#4 WonderSmile: Most Flexible
WonderSmile might not be the first name that comes to mind, but they have a solid all-around treatment and a few unique perks, like single-arch aligner sets and interest-free payment plans. They also have excellent customer reviews, making them a strong option with few weaknesses.
- WonderSmile treatment is slightly cheaper than Byte and SmileDirectClub.
- If you have crowding or spacing in only one arch (top or bottom), you can get aligners for just that arch, and WonderSmile will reduce your price by $500.
- WonderSmile offers a nighttime-only treatment plan (NightClear) that’s only $70 more than the standard treatment.
- Their WonderPay financing option doesn’t require a credit check and doesn’t have any
- WonderSmile customers can choose either at-home molds or an in-office scan when it comes to getting impressions of your teeth.
- WonderSmile has a fantastic reputation for customer satisfaction. We found nearly 400 reviews of their services, and they maintain very high rating scores. Their customers seem thrilled by the convenience and ease of use provided by WonderSmile.
- WonderSmile doesn’t include a set of retainers in your treatment price, so you’ll need to purchase them separately for $99.
- While they can save you some money over Byte or SmileDirectClub, WonderSmile’s prices are still several hundred dollars higher than SmilePath or EZ Smile.
#5 SmileDirectClub: Biggest Brand
SmileDirectClub was one of the first companies to offer at-home clear aligner treatment and continues to be the most popular option. Founded in 2013, SmileDirectClub has raised over $60 million from investors and has treated more than 1 million patients. They brought their service to Australia in 2019 and didn’t miss a beat, adding SmileShops in various cities.
They’re one of the pricier Australian home aligner options, but their track record in the U.S. speaks for itself. They were the brand that popularized in-house financing and nighttime aligners, so you can expect that they’ll continue to innovate.
- They have experience treating hundreds of thousands of cases, so they’re familiar with various conditions, questions, and complications.
- SmileDirectClub maintains SmileShops in select cities across Australia. Here, you can get a quick free teeth scan and treatment approval. Other providers require you to mail in an impression of your teeth — a slower and more cumbersome process.
- Offers guaranteed treatment financing over 24 months ($119/month) through SmilePay. There is no credit check required, but you will need to pay a $299 deposit.
- If wearing your aligners for 22+ hours per day doesn’t sound appealing, SmileDirectClub offers Nighttime Aligners that only require ten hours per day.
- SmileDirectClub has a below-average track record when it comes to the quality of service and customer support. Online reviews warn of long shipping delays and inconsistent communication when issues arise during treatment.
- SmileDirectClub’s pricing isn’t great. At $2,825, they have the highest price point of any company on this list.
Which Home Aligner Option is Best for You?
We totally understand if seeing all of these options feels overwhelming, especially since they look so similar at first glance. At the end of the day, we believe that two home teeth aligners stand above the rest – Byte and EZ Smile.
These two companies ensure affordable prices, fast treatment, and quality products, so we think they’re great choices for almost anyone.
Choose Byte if:
You want the absolute fastest treatment available, backed by guaranteed orthodontist-involved care and personalized customer service.
Choose EZ Smile if:
You want a lower price point and a reliable satisfaction guarantee.
Pros & Cons of Home Teeth Straightening
Faster treatment? Lower prices? Better looking? All of this might have you saying “sign me up.” But no teeth straightening method is perfect, and home aligners aren’t ideal for everyone. People with more severe conditions, for example, might be better off with an in-office treatment. This is an important decision, so make sure you look at your options from all angles before diving in.
To help you decide if home teeth alignment is right for you, take a moment to evaluate these pros and cons:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do home aligner companies prepare my treatment plan?
After you submit your impression kit or teeth scans, a dental professional will analyze them and use specialized software to create digital models of your teeth and aligners for every stage in the process. Byte uses a mixed dental team consisting of both dentists and orthodontists, but they guarantee that an orthodontist will be involved in every treatment plan. The company will send you digital images of the treatment plan for your approval before beginning production.
How long does home aligner treatment take?
For most companies, the average treatment time for most cases is six months. Byte is the exception, as their HyperByte technology allows for a faster 2-4 month treatment window.
How do I get started with home aligner treatment?
You will need to order an impression kit from your chosen home aligner company. The kit includes putty and trays, which you’ll use to make moulds of your top and bottom dental arches, before mailing them to the company. This process can sometimes be difficult, so certain companies (SmileDirectClub, EZ Smile, and WonderSmile) offer physical locations where you can get free teeth scans from professionals.
Which conditions can home aligners treat?
Home aligners are primarily designed to treat mild-to-moderate cases of crowding and spacing, along with some mild bite issues. If your case is severe or includes a jaw misalignment like overbite or underbite, home aligners might not have the capacity to induce the larger tooth and jaw shifts you’re after.
How often do I need to wear my home teeth aligners?
You’ll need to wear your aligners for at least 22 hours per day, removing them only to eat and drink. The exception to this is if you pursue nighttime-only treatment SmileDirectClub, Byte, or WonderSmile. This alternative treatment schedule only requires you to wear the aligners at night (10 hours total).
What if my treatment doesn’t go as planned?
Each home aligner company has different refund and warranty policies. In most cases, you cannot receive a refund after you begin treatment, although the company may work with you to adjust your plan and develop new aligners. This is why we appreciate EZ Smile’s 90-day satisfaction guarantee so much. Most competitors don’t offer refunds at all, so it’s very impressive that EZ Smile gives you three full months to request one for any reason.
Are financing/payment plans available?
Most home aligner companies offer both financing and payment plans. A few partner with third-party companies that provide financing but require credit checks to qualify. SmileDirectClub, Byte, EZ Smile, SmilePath and WonderSmile all offer their own financing options for which everyone qualifies.
What are home teeth aligners made of?
All the home aligner companies we reviewed use clear, BPA-free plastic to make their products.
What happens after my home aligner treatment is complete?
At the end of your clear aligner treatment, you’ll receive custom-fit retainers to keep your teeth from shifting back to their original positions. Your provider will recommend wearing your retainers for close to 24 hours per day for a period of about two weeks. After that, you’ll only have to wear them at night. Some providers include retainers with the initial cost of treatment, while others charge an additional $80-100 for them after treatment is finished.
Does it hurt to wear home teeth aligners?
Customers often report experiencing tightness or discomfort during the first 1-2 days wearing a new set of aligners, after which the discomfort subsides. Some companies provide “chewies” or other devices to help ensure a more comfortable aligner fit.